Friday, September 21, 2007

Tales from the Web

Are you all sick of arachnid tales coming from my home? Yes, I respect that, but I have one more.

We had a Black Widow and a couple of her eggs outside of our back door. See, it's ok if I tell another scary story about spiders because this spider was a Black Widow. I spotted the eggs on a web one afternoon, and thanks to Rebecca, I knew by the spikes that they belonged to a Black Widow. Although I had never seen this type of spider for real, only in text books, I've always carried a dark fear.

Ryan to the rescue. He killed the eggs AND, in doing so, lured Mama spider out. After killing her, he verified the carcass was indeed that of a Black Widow. Right on, Ky! My entomology skillz saved our household from certain peril. (I can't diminish the heroic efforts of Ryan. Way to go, Ryan!)

Last, but not least, thank you Rebecca for teaching me a quick lesson on the anatomy of a Black Widow spider egg. You unknowingly saved my family's lives! (Ok, I realize nature houses more deadly creatures than the Black Widow spider. I should probably go online and research the Brown Recluse and Rattlesnake so I can worry about them too.)

No comments: