Some of the funniest faces Asher makes are those mimicking someone (usually me), and let's be frank and call it what it is: mocking. I did this same thing to my mother when I was Asher's age (oh, who am I kidding, I still do it), so it is now time for payback. But what enjoyable payback! He's a hoot!
The mocking began with his wide-eyed, eyebrow-raised, chin down and nodding look when I'd give instructions, nodding, followed by my inflected, "Ok?" Picture that? Yeah, it's kind of hard to. I need to capture a picture of it. Here's an easier one to imagine: arms crossed/foot tapping. These are the obvious and funniest ones, but certainly he imitates those around him in most of what he does--talking, dancing, running, singing, throwing a ball...that's how he has learned.
They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and I'm honored, but for Asher it's all he knows to do yet. He does what I do. Daunting reality. If he's watching me and doing what I do, is what I'm doing what I want him to be doing? (Catch all that?) Sometimes it's not.
To God, imitation is the sincerest form of obedience. We, as Christians, are called to be Christ-like...in everything. We honor God by following the example of His Son, Jesus. Jesus left glorious Heaven, came to earth and paid the ultimate death sacrifice to save the world from our sins. While He lived on earth, Jesus loved, healed, cared, ministered, taught, and pointed people to His Father. He was sinless in a sinful world. Jesus is the ultimate Role Model.
As a parent, I shoulder the massive responsibility of training my child in the way he should go. I want him to go for Jesus. So I have to act like Jesus, because Asher's acting like me.
Sunday, July 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am the one who is extremely blessed. To read your heart for God and desire to show Jesus to Asher blesses me more than you can know now. You'll understand when you are a grandmother. Thanks for being a great mommy to our precious boy.
Post a Comment